Slaying The Giant Of Pornography
by Jared Keel, September 19, 2012
Pornography is a serious problem that is plaguing today’s generation of men, especially our young men. Even though Pornography has been around for many of years, it is worse now than any other time before because of technology. Technology has made it so easy to look at porn all you have to do is fire up the computer and click a few buttons. Actually it is even worse than that, pornography can now be viewed on your cell phone.
Statistics show that the average age of first internet exposure to pornography is 11 years old, 47 percent of Christians say that pornography is a major problem in the home, and about 1 in 5 pastors have done something sexually immoral in the past 30 days and most of that is because of pornography. These statistics are scary but true.
After reading the statistics about porn and seeing how much of a problem it is in todays society a question came to my mind, and it actually bothers me alot, that question is, “Where is the church?”. I grew up going to church all my life and I have never heard a pastor or youth pastor talk about the issue of pornography. It would seem like our pastors and especially our youth pastors would try to address the problem of pornography and do something about it. So where does this leave our young men? It leaves them very confused, they feel as if there is no help, and that there is nobody to talk to about it. If you are struggling with pornography, don’t worry you are not alone, there are millions of people out there that have the same problem you have. There is help and I know that with God’s grace you can and will overcome this.
What does pornography do to you? Many people believe that pornography isn’t serious and they think that it is normal for somebody to look at it. They believe it has no effect on somebody but pornography is just as dangerous and addicting as cocaine. Pornography and cocaine release the same kind of chemicals in the brain. Pornography actually releases more of these addicting chemicals, therefore it is about 5 to 7 times more addicting than cocaine. After men look at porn, it leaves them with feelings of guilt, shame, regret, and humiliation which results in them isolating themselves. That leads to loneliness and depression and can eventually lead to suicide. Pornography rewires your brain and makes you view women differently. Pornography makes you think that women are these dirty, nasty, sex crazed objects that only want sex. This is not true. Women were never created to be viewed as or thought of like this. If your addiction to pornography is not dealt with now then it will greatly affect your relationships. Your addiction to pornography will not end when you get married. It will take away your intimacy in marriage and eventually your wife will no longer be “good enough” for you. It can even lead to adultery.
What does the Bible say about pornography? Even though the Bible does not use the word pornography, it actually does have something to say about it. Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:28, I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart, (NKJV). One of the ten commandments (God’s holy moral law) says, you shall not commit adultery. So Jesus is telling us that lusting after a woman is the same as committing adultery. This means that if you are looking with lust or looking at pornography then you are in big trouble with God. 1 Corinthians 6:18 tells us to, “flee sexual immorality”, we are not to make any provision for sexual sin. We need to be like Joseph when he was tempted by potiphar’s wife, fleeing from sexual immorality!
Pornography is addicting and it is a battle that almost every man faces but just like David went out to fight and slay the giant Goliath, you also can slay the giant of pornography. The first step to overcoming it, is surrendering your whole life to Jesus Christ. There is no way you can overcome it without God’s help. Repent of your sins, turn away from them and never look back, and place your faith in Jesus Christ to save you. Give your whole life to Him, completely surrendering. Jesus said He would send us a Helper (John 16:7), Which is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will help you when you are tempted. He will give you the power to overcome it. Hebrews 4:16 says, Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace in time of need. We can come boldy to God and recieve His grace to help us and empower us to overcome any temptation.
Here are ten ways to break the stronghold of pornography. these were written by my favorite evangelist Ray Comfort.
1. Would you ever take pornography to church and view it during worship? You may as well, because God is just as present in your bedroom as He is in your church building.
2. Face the fact that you may not be saved. Examine yourself to ensure that Christ is living in you (2 Cor. 13:5). See Romans 6:11-22; 8:1-14, Ephesians 5:3-8.
3. Realize that when you give yourself to pornography, you are committing adultery (Matthew 5:27,28).
4. Grasp the serious nature of your sin. Jesus said it would be better for you to be blind and go to heaven, than for your eye to cause you to sin and end up in hell (Matthew 5:29).
5. Those who profess to be Christians yet give themselves to pornographic material evidently lack the fear of God (Proverbs 16:6). Cultivate the fear of God by reading Proverbs 2:1-5.
6. Read Psalm 51 and make it your own prayer.
7. Memorize James 1:14,15 and 1 Cor. 10:13. Follow Jesus’ example (Matt. 4:3-11) and quote the word of God when you are tempted (see Eph. 6:12-20).
8. Make no provision for your flesh (Rom. 13:14; 1 Pet. 2:11). Get rid of every access to pornographic material-the internet, printed literature, TV, videos, and movies. stop feeding the fire.
9. Guard your heart with all diligence (Prov. 4:23). Don’t let the demonic realm have access to your thought life. If you give yourself to it, you will become its slave (Rom. 6:16). Read the Bible daily, without fail. As you submit to God, the devil will flee (James 4:7,8).
10. The next time temptation comes, do fifty push-ups, then fifty sit-ups. If you are still burning, repeat the process ( see 1 Cor. 9:27).
You can overcome pornography. God will help you. Seek God in prayer before you start the day, asking Him to help you when temptation tries to come your way. It is said that the idle mind is the devils playground. Keep yourself busy and you won’t have time to look at pornography. A battle is never won without a fight, so pick up your sword and slay the giant of pornography.