Originally posted at: http://www.theresstillhope.org
Today’s RM is for those of us who wish to see someone close to us get better.
Rather than berating them and reminding them of their shortcomings, encourage them. In the words of Wolfgang von Goethe, “Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can be and should be and he will become as he can be or should be.”
Leadership expert Kevin Eikenberry offers five values of encouragement.
- Encouragement provides awareness.
- Encouragement creates belief.
- Encouragement builds confidence.
- Encouragement improves attitude.
- Encouragement promotes action.
Recovery Step: “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins” (1 Peter 4:8).